Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Let's Eat Cake....Again

A few weeks ago I did a post about about naked cakes. 
If you missed it you can read it here.
In the post I talked about trying to make a naked cake of my own. I actually did make one. Sadly, this is it. Just go ahead and stick this cake on your Pinterest fail board.

Strawberry Naked Cake with ButterCream Frosting
Naked Cake No.1

In my defense, it did taste good. 
However, I realized there just wasn't enough frosting. I used one box of cake mix and one can of frosting. 
Yep. Not near enough frosting. 
It looked a little sad, so I had the bright idea to then cut the sides off. Somehow I thought that would make it look better. 
It didn't. 
Enter naked cake no. 2. 

Chocolate Naked Cake with Peanut Butter Frosting
Naked Cake No.2

  I decided to give it another go. 
My brother's birthday was coming up, so I figured it was worth another shot. This time I was prepared. 

Chocolate Cake with Peanut Butter Frosting

 I used a triple chocolate cake mix, which had pudding in the mix. One I had it mixed, I then added a cup of applesauce in the batter to make it even more moist. I wanted to be certain I had enough frosting. I did. With plenty to spare at that! 

I found a wonderful peanut butter frosting at this Cleobuttera website. It was light and airy--the perfect pairing with a chocolate cake. Just like a huge Reese cup. Which is why I decided to decorate the top with crushed mini Reese cups.

 
 My advice on making a naked cake? Be sure to have plenty of frosting on hand. The layers look so much better filled to the brim! Another thing I found handy was a side scraper
This really helped to make the look I was going for. 
I wanted to just smooth the excess frosting along the sides without actually frosting the sides. There you have it. My official naked cake. We won't mention the first one again...

Chocolate Cake with Peanut Butter Frosting


Chocolate Cake with Peanut Butter Frosting

 Here are a couple great websites to show how to make your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment